Tour australian architecture
Australian Institute of Architects Dulux Study Tour
The Australian Institute of Architects and Dulux are delighted the Institute’s Dulux Study Tour will go ahead in 2023 as an international tour.
Heading back overseas, the tour will give some of Australia’s brightest emerging architects the opportunity to explore the very best of International Architecture and meet inspiring international architects in April/May 2023 (to be confirmed).
Now in its 15th year, the Dulux Study Tour is an opportunity to be part of an exciting and coveted program that fosters Australia’s next generation of architectural talent. Winners will help to curate the tour and will experience firsthand some of the world’s best architectural sites and practices.
Entries are closed.
Who can participate
Entries are open to all architects and graduates of architecture of up to 10 years from graduation of the AACA Accredited Master of Architecture degree (or equivalent). *See terms and conditions
It is only open to Australian citizens/residents and New Zealand citizens residing in Australia. It is mandatory that entrants are Australian Institute of Architects members.
judging process / What we look for
The prize will be awarded to five emerging architects on the basis of their individual contributions to:
- Architectural practice
- Design excellence
- Community involvement.
Eligible members are invited to submit their entry through the online entry form. In addition to the entry form, during Stage 2, entrants are asked to attach supporting documentation that includes;
- Employer reference (maximum three references)
- Resume (maximum two pages)
- Portfolio of works (maximum of four pages)
- High resolution head shot.
all the details you need
Terms and conditions
- Entry into the Institute’s Dulux Study Tour is open to all architects and graduates of architecture of up to 10 years from graduation of the AACA Accredited Master of Architecture degree (or equivalent). Entrants must have graduated between 2012 ‐ 2022 inclusive*. However, it is only open to Australian citizens/residents and New Zealand citizens residing in Australia. It is mandatory that entrants and nominators are Australian Institute of Architects members.
- Non‐winning entrants from previous years are welcome to re‐enter, subject to meeting the eligibility criteria.
- Entrants must be a financial Australian Institute of Architects member.
- Entry into the 2023 Dulux Study Tour is a two-stage process:
To enter, entrants are required to submit their answers to four nominated questions, their contact details and details of their employer via the online entry system.
Stage 1 submissions must be lodged by no later than midnight Friday 14 October 2022. Entrants’ answers to the nominated questions will be judged, and shortlisted entrants will be notified to enter into Stage 2. The jury’s decision is final. Refer to section 8.
Shortlisted entrants must be upload via the online entry system: an A4 document that includes: one written employer reference, resume (maximum two pages) and portfolio of works (maximum of four pages). Submissions for Stage 2 close on AEDT 5.00pm Friday 18 November 2022.
- Submissions must be lodged by the due date, late submissions will not be accepted.
- Entrants will be judged on the submission details supplied and five (5) winners will be chosen by the nominated jury members.
- The juries’ decision is final and the Institute will not provide individual feedback on entries.
- The Australian Institute of Architects, Dulux and any additional sponsors reserve the right to publish details of successful applicants (the winners), including their individual winning submissions, in all publications and communications.
- Five (5) prizes will be awarded for the Study Tour. Successful recipients will travel as a group and will need to be available at least one (1) day either side to allow for travel time. The prize covers international economy flights, accommodation, transport and an allocation of funds for meals for the duration of the Study Tour program. Each recipient has the opportunity to extend their time at the end of the Study Tour period at their own expense but this must be advised to the Institute at the time of the winners being contacted due to flight arrangements.
- The five (5) winners will be required to participate in the writing of daily blog whilst on tour.
- The five (5) winners will be required to submit a post tour report to the Institute. Participates are encouraged to present this information in a Post Tour event, either in person at their nearest Chapter location or as a digital collaboration.
- Winners must have a valid passport at the time of travel otherwise they will forfeit their place on the tour.
- The Australian Institute of Architects and its Partners shall not be held accountable for any unforeseeable event or occurrence that is beyond the reasonable control of either party, including but not limited to cyclones, hurricanes, storms, floods, bushfire, terrorism, war, strikes, cyberattacks, power blackouts, governmental action, imposition of sanctions, earthquakes and pandemics. In this instance, The Institute will adapt the contract deliverables, providing alternative concepts within a reasonable timeframe to ensure the objectives are maintained.
- The Institute acknowledges that international travel for professional purposes often offers the opportunity for further personal travel with a friend or family member. Once the Study Tour schedule is fully undertaken, as per the itinerary, prize winners may be joined by a guest for further personal travel.
*The Institute will be accepting entries from 2011 graduates for the 2023 Dulux Study Tour as COVID-19 prohibited the Institute from opening entries in 2021 for a 2022 Tour.